Friday 20 May 2011

Empire Tactica Part 6: Swordsmen



Ah the great Empire moral dilemma: which troop type to go for.

Halberdiers give the strength and armour penetration bonus; Spearmen fight with an extra rank; and Swordsmen get extra Weapon Skill and Initiative.

You may guess from the picture above which one I went for.

But why?

Well it was almost a random choice, I tell you. I might have gone for spearmen if not for the fact I have a lot of these in my Tomb Kings army. In the end I was liking the hand weapon and shield defensive bonus as well as striking earlier and more easily. Time will tell if I made the right choice (they've seen very little combat as I've tended to hang them back).

At the end of the day, we have to trust that the points cost is calculated farly across the units. After that it comes down to: 

  • Which weapons we think look best
  • Whether we're going for a defensive stance (spears)
  • Or against armoured foes (halberds)
I'm thinking Swordsmen are the middle ground versatile unit. At least that what I'm telling myself. 

But what to do with them?

With half the army forming a gunline, my view here is to position them with other combat elements as far forward as possible. Hold them in place until a charge is viable. By this time the shooting elements will have weakened the opposition. Charge in with as much support as possible and do your darndest to roll well!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I really like the stance of that Warrior Priest! Very dynamic!

    ReplyDelete